Friday, June 26, 2015

Berkeley - Chez Panisse


After the most disappointing dinner of my life, I really wanted to redeem the rest of the trip. Luckily, I was able to snag a last minute reservation at another bucket list item restaurant - Chez Panisse. Obviously I didn't learn from the day before's experience because I was immediately excited and my expectations were high. This time though, everything worked out!



The menu changes daily, which is fantastic. Alice Waters was a big pioneer of the farm to table movement in California and it really showed in her dishes. Plus, the restaurant itself is adorable!

Acme bread for the table

Blue Heron Farm Little Gems lettuce with green goddess dressing and radishes

local halibut tartare with shaved spring vegetables, Belgian endive and citrus vinagrette

fazzoletti pasta with basil pesto and cherry tomatoes

grilled Liberty Farm duck breast with fried new potatoes, sweet peas and sauce hachée

bittersweet chocolate pavé with stracciatella ice cream and caramel sauce

apricot galette with vanilla ice cream

I can't rave enough about the meal I had here. THIS is exactly how duck should have been done at Ad Lib ... soft, tender and perfectly medium rare. I think it was the best duck I've ever had, which only served to enrage me more about the previous night's dinner. If you get the chance, definitely go to Chez Panisse ... SO GOOD.

Chez Panisse
1517 Shattuck Ave, Berkley, CA 94709

No comments:

Post a Comment